Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Chapter One: Garden Of Eden


Wow.  I can already tell that this book is going to be an adventure.  In just the first nine pages, I already feel like I’ve been through a roller coaster of thinking.  The questions presented are incredibly hard to wrap your head around, but I can see I’m going to have an awesome time trying. 

The first thing I realized from reading this chapter is that the main point of philosophy is questioning.  I almost think the words should be synonyms.  If you have a question, and a reason to find an answer, then you have a philosophy.  Philosophy is also a journey.  You can learn the history of philosophy, but you cannot truly learn what it is unless you take your mind on a journey and explore the questions you have.

Some of the notes I took while reading include the idea that the human brain is simply like an advanced computer.  Sophie’s reaction is that surely the human brain must be more than hardware.  In reality, what if we are just a computer, doing the tasks that we are programmed to do?   But then, what about the things that change within us all the time?  The ideas, the process of learning, the growth, the feelings.  Are all those things simply programmed into our being?  Another question that Sophie addresses is what a human being really is?  If the human brain is just an advanced computer, then are human beings just vessels?  Are our bodies just the carriers of the computer in our brains?  The thing is computers can only do as they’re told.  So, if we are computers, what is free will?  We couldn’t have free will because if we are computers, then we would only do as we are told.  And I often find myself questioning why I am doing things.  Why am I going to school?  Why am I eating lunch?  Am I doing those things because of free will, or because I was told to?  If I am doing them because they’ve been ordered, then maybe I am like a computer.  But then again, could a computer question the things it does?  Doesn’t it just do as it’s told, without the capability to ask why?  If philosophy is the ability to wonder, to question, and if that is an ability that humans have, might it be right to say that human beings are philosophers?  Maybe that is what we are.  Maybe that’s the answer. 

And that’s not even the biggest question asked in this chapter!  Who are you?  Now that’s a huge one.  Sophie claims at first that she is Sophie.  She is her name.  Therefore, I am Kyla.  But then Sophie wonders would she be someone different if she were named something else.  Is our name the defining quality, or just a label?  What does it have to do with who we are?  If I had a different name, would I still think and act like me?  Would I still be sitting here typing the words I am?  Or would I be doing something completely different, thinking something completely different?  What factors into determining who we are?  Is the clothes we wear, the things we study, or the food we eat?  Or is it deeper, like the way we accept criticism, the way we deal with heartbreak, or the way we love?  What determines who a person is? 


Do you see what I mean?  Philosophy is a continuum of questions, with seemingly impossible, or incomprehensible answers.  Maybe in all truth, we aren’t meant to know the answers.  But since we’ve been created with the ability to ask questions and wonder about these things, then it seems like those answers are just waiting to be found.  Why have the ability to ask questions when you don’t have the ability to answer them? 


Let me remind you, this is after reading nine pages… only the first chapter! As Sophie takes me through her thinking process, it triggers my own questions, and my own curiosity.  My mind is already spinning, and I absolutely love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment