Friday, March 29, 2013

Chapter Eleven: Aristotle


This one’s a huge chapter.  Aristotle was a man of many ideas, so this reflection may be the longest yet… we’ll see.  First of all, I think it’s really interesting that I just learned all this stuff about Plato and Aristotle was actually a pupil at Plato’s Academy.  Even more interesting is that fact that in some cases Aristotle disagreed with Plato.  I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, because if we all agreed all the time, life wouldn’t be near the adventure it is. 

Anyway, the main disagreement that Aristotle had with Plato was about the whole world of “ideas”.  Plato believed that the “idea” chicken came before the actual chicken.  He also thought that reality was what we think with our reason.  This was a hard pill for me to swallow when I first learned of his theory, so I don’t really mind that Aristotle disagreed.  Aristotle said that each type of thing in the world has a specific “form”.  Though each frog may be different, they all have the same “form” and that’s why we can classify them as frogs.  Aristotle believed that the “idea” world was something that humans come up with based on characteristics, which means “form” comes before “idea”.  He then believed that reason is not the source of reality, but that what we perceive with our senses is what’s real.   I’m going to have to say that for this round, I’m definitely team Aristotle. 

If we all had these “ideas” of things pounded into our brains, then how come I cannot simply picture a platypus?  If there is an “idea” platypus, I should be able to picture it right?  But even though I’ve heard of a platypus I cannot come up with a picture of what it looks like… Now if I had actually seen a platypus, then I could describe it to you.  So personally, I identify much more with the whole idea of “form.”  Humans are all different in some way.  But if you pass a person in the street, unless that have seven arms or something, you assume they’re human.  That’s because though we are different, we all have a “form” that classifies us as humans. 

But the next idea is a little harder… What is reality?  Is it based on reason or sensory perception? I had a hard time accepting that we gain knowledge through reason and that was the only way, but I’m not quite sure why I rejected the idea so strongly.  Maybe it’s because I’m not always the most logical person.  Maybe I don’t like the idea of being built strictly around my brain and my reason.   We have all these beautiful senses and ways to interact with the world around us.  If all we needed to rely on was reason, then why have senses in the first place?  Sometimes when it comes to reason, senses just get in the way, because sometimes when we are feeling strongly due to senses, we aren’t thinking clearly.  It’s crazy to me to think that reason is all there is. But at the same time, is reality just our senses as Aristotle said?  I almost think that reality is different to everyone as an individual.  But I also think that maybe our reality is a combination of what we think and what we perceive.  It doesn’t have to be one or the other does it?  We have been gifted with both reason and senses, so why narrow it down to just one being the source of reality? 

Aristotle had a knack for organizing things, which is right up my alley.  He also had a way of breaking things down into multiple parts.  Seriously, this guy gets me, because that’s something I definitely relate to.  He was considered one of the first great biologists of Europe because he began to categorize and break down the kingdoms of life.  He said that earth was made up of two categories: Living and Nonliving.  Then Living was made up of Creatures and Plants, and Creatures was made up of Animals and Humans.  Simple enough right?  In biology, we are learning about all the different phyla which break down into all the different classes and all the different orders and so on.  It’s all very complex, and though it’s good to be specific, I can definitely appreciate the simplicity of Aristotle’s ideas. However, Aristotle believed that all these things on Earth were governed by the stars and heavenly bodies of space, but then he also had to come up with a source that set those things in motion.  He called this stationary source the “first mover” or “God”.  This idea also makes sense to me… actually I can connect really well.  Before I became really exposed in Christianity, I used to believe that the sun and moon were the gods of the universe.  I just always loved looking up at the moon and the stars and I made up this idea in my head that the sun was a god and the mood a goddess, and I had some other theory about the stars as well.  Then there’s the old saying that a full moon makes people crazy.  Maybe Aristotle wasn’t so far off.  Maybe the moon and stars and sun do have an effect on the rest of the universe and then maybe God is just the highest level. 

The next thing this chapter talks about is true happiness.  Oh man, isn’t this a good topic.  Everyone wants to know how to be happy, right?  Aristotle’s happiness idea is that there are three forms of happiness:  Life of pleasure and enjoyment, Life as a free and responsible citizen and Life as a thinker and philosopher.  Here’s the catch though.  He believed you had to have all three in order to be really happy. I actually think there’s some truth to that.  I mean if you’re not a free citizen, you’re probably not living a life of pleasure and enjoyment.  And if you are free and you are living a life of pleasure, if you aren’t thinking for yourself or understanding what’s happening around you, then you find yourself stuck in a box and frustrated.  So again, Aristotle’s views make sense to me.

The only thing I really disagree with Aristotle on was his view of women.  He said that women were incomplete and less than man.  He believed that children get all their characteristics from their father and that women were simply the environment for growing these babies.  So, as much as I admire Aristotle, I will admit that he was a clueless man like so many others.  Maybe I’m a little biased by being a girl, but come on!  Girls can be smart and think for themselves and study things like philosophy too. Throughout history, men just underestimate how powerful women can be!  Without women, man wouldn’t survive, and that is all I have to say about that. ;)

Anyway, I told you it was a long one.  But ignoring his horrible ideas about women, I am definitely an Aristotle fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment