Friday, March 29, 2013

History and Pi (Detour from Text)


The Indo-Europeans believed in a cyclic view of history.  They believed everything was a constant circle and repeated itself, with no beginning and no end.  The Semites, however, believed in a linear view.  God created the world, and that was the beginning, and the day of wrath, or Judgment Day, would be the end.  No repeats, no rebirth.  Just beginning, middle and end. 

Well, there you have two different ideas. And this got me to wondering which one I agree with.  The more I thought about it, though, the more I realized that it wasn’t that simple.  Sure, I agree that God created the world, but I also believe that history repeats itself.  Where does this lead me?  I decided to kind of play with the question for awhile, and see what I could come up with, and I came up with pi. Yes, pi.  As in that funny symbol you use in math class.  Just as history does, the number pi has a beginning.  It starts with three. What follows is a string of random numbers, the middle.  You can guess what the next number will be, just like you can try to predict the future, but you can’t know for sure what comes next until you get there.  And like aspects of history, the digits of pi repeat.  Just like there has been more than one war in history, there are more than one threes in pi.  Then there’s the question of the end of pi.  Many people believe that pi does indeed end, but no one knows when or where.  This relates a lot to the end of history.  Many believe God will end the world with a Judgment Day, and some believe in the apocalypse.  But no matter how you believe the world will end, nobody knows when.  We can guess, but we cannot tell the future.  The world could end tomorrow or in a million years…we just don’t know.  So the way I see it, history is not cyclic or linear.  It falls in sync with pi.

No comments:

Post a Comment