Thursday, May 2, 2013

Do We Exist?



 
One of the weirdest ideas that I’ve come across in philosophy is the idea that we really don’t exist.  We are simply a physical manifestation of someone’s imagination, our lives just a dream of God’s.
 WHAT?! I’ve never thought that way, because I don’t like the idea.  Straight up… the idea that my life is virtually nothing, and I am completely unimportant in the scheme of things is that worst scenario I could come up with.  Because without existence, there is no purpose, and without purpose, there is no fulfillment.  And if that’s the case, I may as well give up everything I ever thought to be important. 
If I don’t exist, then I lose all hope of making something of my life.  Maybe it makes me a bad or incomplete philosopher, but I refuse to accept that possibility.
 Okay, it’s definitely possible, but it’s also not the idea I choose to believe.  My Christian background leads me to believe that our lives are a reflection of God and His vision, but we are not simply in his mind.  Our lives are real, and they mean something.  It may be selfish and egotistic, but I want to believe that I am real and worth something to the world. 
But I did as Aristotle said an educated mind would, and entertained the thought.  I just won’t accept it.
If my passion is clouding my reason, let that be my downfall, because I refuse to believe that I am nonexistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment