Thursday, May 23, 2013

Hegel


Rivers.  They’re kind of interesting, right?  Always flowing, rushing to get to somewhere bigger.  Hegel thought they were pretty interesting, because he saw history as a flowing river.  His whole theory was that thoughts are always changing, evolving just as society changes and evolves. 

This means that something that’s right one day might not be the next day, or vice versa.  This idea seems pretty supported to me.  Slavery was once considered okay, but it isn’t acceptable anymore.  Gay marriage used to absolutely out of the question, and now opinions are changing.  The way I feel could be totally different.  I could cry myself to sleep but wake up with a smile.

 That’s because as humans, we live in a temporary world.  The world restarts every time we wake up for a new day, and each day is different than the last.

 I think Hegel had it right. Each of our minds is a river, flowing and gaining more water along the way.  The rocks and soil move as we do, and we change.  But, just as rivers flow into the sea…will all our thoughts someday flow into one big philosophy?  It seems impossible, but just entertain the thought for me.  What if someday we all came to the same conclusion?  What if we all came to a point where we saw things exactly the same?  Honestly, if that day ever comes, it may be the end of humanity, because I’ve never met two people who agree on everything, and I don’t think I ever will.  But it’s interesting to think about.  If this is the case, I probably don’t agree with all of Hegel’s theories, but I do agree with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment